Wednesday, February 11, 2009

"Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar?


Who me? Couldn't be!"

I'd like to say my kids love Jamestown and Williamsburg for the history or the beauty, but really it's for the gift shops. They literally cannot wait to get into those stores--it's a little unnerving really. Probably most kids are like that, I would imagine, but something about these shops really gets 'em trembling. Nicholas makes a b-line for the rabbit furs, Mitchell to the rifles and Natalie to the horse this or that. Camille just brings me whatever she finds first--and asks, "Can I have dis one? How about dis one?" After Jamestown, we barely made it to the gift shop before it closed, so we let them do a quick once-through, before herding them to the car.



Once in the van, Nicholas offers, "Uh, Mom, look what Camille took out of her coat. Oh! And a cat too!"

Are you kidding me?
"Camille! You didn't pay money for the princess and kitty. You can't keep them."
"But I don't haaaaave one!!" she wails.

What to do? Nick and I responsibly send the children back running to return the smugglings--knowing full well it's closed. Minutes later they're back and breathless and telling us, "It's closed, what should we do?"

Keep them? is what comes to my mind. Wrong answer. Think of the children, Mother. Use this as a teaching moment right here outside of the van, in Jamestown--where our people first fought against things like this.

"Ummmm.. just go set the stuff by the outside door. Some honest person will see it tomorrow and return them to the shop." (Or give them to their own kids).

So the next day. New town.  New gift shop--treasures a plenty. About an hour later we are taking a break on a bench, the weather was wonderful.  Man, I think...Camille's been playing behind the stroller for a long time; that's weird.

"Camille!! Did you steal more stuff?!"
"But I don't have a horsey.......waaaaahhhhh!!!"
"Nick!! Look at this! Your kid stole again!"

So, what was her punishment...you ask?


We bought her a horse.


Of course!

15 comments:

Jek said...

HIlarious!! That is too freakin cute. I loved that story! Must be the age to consider honesty. Alexis keeps telling me "tell the truth" or "tell a lie again, mommy". They must've missed this lesson in nursery last year!

Anonymous said...

I must say, I so enjoyed your entry today!!! I laughed out loud risking the waking of a small monkey, yup, that's how much I enjoyed it... brought back fond memories of my own first theiving experience... Involving some kind of wierd coin...but I digress...I was talking about your thief :-D. And I gotta say, the main thing I remember about my childhood adventures n Williamsburg is buying those night cap looking hats... kinda funny...
Jennifer u r a talented writer! I love ur sense of humor and I think it comes through in your writing... U got some skills girl!
M.

Anonymous said...

Mom i'm related to a criminal

natalie

jill said...

Ahhh... the joys of being the youngest.

Who can refuse that face?! It would make a terrific mugshot don't you think?

Suzanne said...

Jennifer,

Could you get Nick's kid under control please!! hahaha! You guys sure taught her a lesson that first round, I bet she will never ste......oh wait, sorry, she stole again. And you bought her a prize for her actions? hahaha! LOL I cannot stop laughing! Well, at least the older ones know better, right? 3 out fo 4, not bad! I am just teasing, it was a really cute story! Thanks for sharing and glad you are back! -Suzanne

Ann Marie said...

What a funny post!
The pictures you got of her along with the captions are hilarious!

You are a nice Mom.. I'm a mean one. I took Christian to the store to say sorry, and then we were going to the poilce.. I scared him to death over a candy bar..

Mrs. O said...

Too precious and funny! But I don't have a horse......

Mahana said...

How could you refuse a face like that. You did the right thing the first one time around, and hey give the kid a break and buy her the horse.... SHE IS IN JAMESTOWN for heaven sake.... When in Rome. I can pretty much guarantee she won't become a thief. What a cute post.

Mitch said...

Hahaha! That's so funny. I remember when i stole a pack of gum from Lucky's. I immediately got out of the van and walked to Joe Sue's house with both my hands in front of me holding the pack of gum. Can't say i was the most clever or sneaky child. Mom made me take it back and work there for a week to pay my dues. I was only 3 or 4. I can't believe mom doesn't believe in child labor laws. She's always been sketchy. Those pictures were really cute and funny. I could see her doing that out of all the other kids no matter what age they would have been. She just seems the most daring and sneaky. I think it's freakin cute. Good post Ma'lady!

Super Duper Gus said...

Maybe take her back to Wiliamsberg and let her tough it out on one of those olde timey stocks.... tough love kid!

Jayne Layne said...

The JONNY post was from me...

Anjie said...

If you would like to get rid of her, I will gladly take the criminal girl into my home and teach her better ways. Very funny. I am sure she got the sticky fingers from you. Nick is way too innocent and sweet for such genes and issues. I will pick her and her belongings up at 5:00 pm.

Dayna said...

That is TOO FUNNY!!!! What a cute mom you are. I love the last pic of her "I win" face. So cute!

Anonymous said...

Ah, so you have a kleptomaniac on your hands eh? What's next?

Anonymous said...

SOOO CUTE i enjoy that face.

natalie