Friday, November 27, 2009

For the Beauty of the Earth


For the joy of human love,
brother, sister, parent, child.
Friends on earth and friends above
For all gentle thoughts and mild.

Lord of all, to Thee we raise
this our hymn of joyful praise.



















For the beauty of the earth
for the Glory of the skies,
For the love which from our birth
Over and around us lies:

Lord of all to thee we raise
this our hymn of grateful praise.













For the beauty of each hour
Of the day and of the night,
Hill and vale and tree and flower
Sun and moon and stars of light

Lord of all to thee we raise,
This our hymn of grateful praise.


















For each perfect gift of Thine
To our race so freely given
Graces human and divine
Flowers of earth and buds of heaven

Lord of all to Thee we raise,
This our hymn of grateful praise.


















Like many families, we take turns during dinner expressing something we have been grateful for this past year. I am ever thankful for the blessing of wonderful family and friends who make my life truly joyful and the gifts of health, happiness and freedom, which I cherish.

But this year I chose to highlight my love for music of all kinds--hence the lyrics running through my posts. Music brings feeling, inspiration, energy and clarity to my days and makes me feel life and it's experiences more deeply. Music defines my mood and the person I am at the time. It takes me to places I've never been but wish to go, and sweeps me swiftly back to sweet days gone by....it is a pleasure I never want to do without.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
-Berthold Auerbach

9 comments:

partii said...

I love the music theme of your recent posts. Maybe you can incorporate some Rob Zombie in your next one!

Brooke said...

Seriously can I be adopted into your family? By the way, thank you SO much for the books -
we absolutely loved them!

Ann Marie said...

You win hands down for best Thanksgiving costumes.. set up.. everything. I don't think even Martha herself could compete.

I LOVE that hymn. I love your pictures.. everyone looks soo good.

The black and white look so real.. it's almost as if I am looking back in time. I sometimes wish I could have lived in those days.. things more simple and appreciated.

The table is beautiful beyond words. LOVE it.

Happy to see so many of you together celebrating! XO

Jayne Layne said...

So many great pictures!! I am glad you added these. that was so fun!

VEGAS VIC said...

Those were great pictures. Sure does capture the mood for the rest of us.

Suzanne said...

All I can say is Wow!! The family Thanksgiving party gets bigger every year. For some reason every time I look at jill, Jek and Jayne, I feel like they are right there and I could talk to them. I keep forgetting to ask, but who comes from Nick side of the family. I recognize him and his parents and your family, but are the other people Nick's siblings? Tell the in laws they always throw the most magnificent family get togethers. What a lovely time to witness! -Suzanne

carey said...

Wow! This celebration seems to get bigger and better every year. Awesome...just...awesome!

Anjie said...

Super cute pics. Looks like everyone had a great time this year. Love the costumes. I think Johnny might be my fav. Maybe one year we will have to stick around. (O:

Little Crows Nest said...

Wow, I just love all your photos from Thanksgiving! I think I even saw a few of Eric and Sylvia...sure miss those two! And I was just telling my husband that regardless of the crazy get-up you are wearing (ghoul or indian) you always look fabulous! (He agreed) Always have! I don't think you've aged at all since the day I met you...