Wednesday, June 25, 2008


Dinner and Dessert

Chicken Curry in a Hurry

Hello Dollys


Chicken Curry in a Hurry
I got this recipe from my friend Anabell. I made it for cooking group and everyone really liked it. We don't eat curry very often so it was a fun change. The thing that makes it especially wonderful, is it's really easy to make and is done before you know it. Just make sure you open your windows. The curry smell might stay for a few days...

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 cup plain yogurt
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
1 rotisserie chicken
2 cups cooked white rice
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes. Sprinkle with the curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the yogurt and cream and simmer gently for 3 minutes. Stir in the salt, pepper, and tomatoes (if using). Remove from heat. Slice or shred the chicken, discarding the skin and bones. Divide the rice (if using) and chicken among individual bowls, spoon the sauce over the top, and sprinkle with the cilantro. Yield: Makes 4 to 8 servings

Hello Dollys
These are one of my very favorite treats. I literally cannot stop eating them, so I try never to make them. They are really good and super quick if you need a dessert to take to a BBQ or something. Just make sure you let them set up a bit before cutting. (learned that the hard way)
1 pkg graham crackers, crushed
1 stick butter softened, melted
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup coconut, or more
chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
Press graham crackers and butter together (flatten with fork) in a 9x13 pan. Pour sweetened condensed milk over the crust layer--try to evenly disperse it. Add chocolate chips. Sprinkle with coconut then the nuts. Bake at 350 until coconut is golden--about 25 minutes. Cool and cut.

6 comments:

The Bobos said...

Mmm, this looks so yummy. And Hello Dollys, my mom's specialty. My favorite thing to do with Hello Dollys was always cut out the edges. Of course, so does my mom and dad so the edges were always the first to go when we made them.

P.S. How are you still posting if you are at girls camp?

jill said...

I'm a big fan of both!

Ann Marie said...

I LOVE hello Dolly's, and am not sure if I have a recipe, so I'm glad you shared.

Is curry an aquired taste? I'm not sure what it tastes like, and if my kids will eat it?

Anonymous said...

I love both of these. YUMMY! TRy them both, the chicken curry is great.

Me said...

I love recipes. I'll be sure to try these both. My husband loves curry, so he'll be really happy! Thanks for sharing!

Rebecca said...

Alrighty - looks great!