Sunday, June 22, 2008


Giving it All Away

Selling it, actually...

Found on Breitbart.com

A middle-aged man who is auctioning his life over the Internet was Sunday celebrating as bidders fought over who would take his job, home and friends, as he seeks to start over again.
The British immigrant to Australia, who said the trigger for his bold offer was the break-up with his wife, had hoped he would attract a bid of 500,000 dollars (477,000 US).

Shortly after the seven-day auction began Sunday, a bid of 300,100 dollars for 44-year-old Ian Usher's Perth-based lifestyle was listed on the Internet auction site eBay.

By late afternoon, some 40 bids had been made with the highest offer at 650,000 dollars.

"I brought out the champagne at three o'clock when it passed the 400,000-dollar mark," Usher told the Australian news agency AAP.

"It's unbelievable that it's going up like this so early in the auction."

Usher has promised to introduce the winning bidder to his friends and hand over his 420,000-dollar house and his hobbies. The winner will also secure Usher's job as a rug store assistant for two weeks initially, but this could be extended depending on the store owner's agreement.

Usher will retain only his passport, wallet and the clothes on his back if the deal goes ahead.

He said he decided to start a new life after separating from his wife Laura just over two years ago, and selling all his worldly goods seemed like a logical step to take.

"The separation from my wife was the initial trigger for what I'm doing, especially living in the house that was built for the both of us and being surrounded by our furniture," he said.


"It's part of the moving on process. I guess this is the last step before making a fresh start."

Usher says he is as yet unsure as to what he will do once the auction ends.

How much are you worth?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd be worth a lot more too after I was separated from my wife!

partii said...

Not me, having me wif on the ticket puts my worth at about...hmm....priceless

Jayne Layne said...

Oh NICK! What a charmer! Good man. I am definitely worth $3,000,000. If someone wants to pay me that I will give them my job and everything I own, just not my husband family, and of course they can't force me to not be friends with my friends... I all in all, If anyone wants to go hand over the cash, I will be out tomorrow.

Jayne Layne said...

WOW, did that even make sense?

Mitch said...

HAHAHAHA! No Jayne, i had to read it a few times to decipher it.

jill said...

One heck of a lot!!! Good job Nick!!!