Wednesday, August 27, 2008


Have courage for the great sorrows of life, 
and patience for the small ones.
And when you have laboriously accomplished 
your daily task, go to sleep in peace.
God is awake.
- Victor Hugo

I'm sure some of you have heard the story of Stephanie and Christian Nielson. They live in Mesa, Arizona and were in a plane crash a week ago Saturday that has left them in intensive care with terrible burns. I have been reading and thinking about them all week and am happy to learn that there is some way I can help their sad  situation. If you'd like to hear more about their story you can find information HERE. Her sister is also doing updates on her blog HERE.

They seem like such a nice family and my heart goes out to them and their children. They have four young children that have gone to live with Stephanie's sister--what a blessing that is. I just can't imagine how hard it would be to recover from burns on over 80% of your body. It's just so sad. I've decided to post today because there are several efforts under way to raise money for what will be overwhelming medical and household bills during their months/years of recovery.

Design Mom, has inspired many other bloggers to hold auctions on their blogs on Thursday August 28th to help raise money. I have added a button to my sidebar if you would just like to donate without being involved in the auction. On Thursday morning I will be offering several paintings that you can bid on. I hope you will all check back on Thursday and bid with generosity. If not on mine, on someone else's (Design Mom will be listing links of all auctions). ALL MONEY will go to the recovery fund of Christian and Stephanie Nielson. I will mail out all winning items at my own expense.

Here's how it works:

When can I bid?

As soon as the post appears.

Where do I place my bid?

In the comment section of each item's post. I will leave the first bid, then the next bidder can submit a comment with their bid like, "I bid $40." And with each bidder to follow they just leave a comment with their price.

What amount can I bid?

Please keep all bids to an even $5--no change please. For example: if the bid is $65.00, then the next bid should be $70 then onto $75 etc.

How do i know what the highest bid is?

Check the comments. It will be the most recently posted comment.

When does the auction end?

This SATURDAY, August 30th MIDNIGHT  (EST)

What if I win the bid?

After the close of the auction I will post the winner and their bid.
If you are the winning bidder, just email your contact information to jennifer@calleva.org

How can I pay for the painting?

A paypal payment would be preferred. That will make it easiest for me to transfer the full amount to the Nielson's fund, but I will also take a check or cash if you know me personally.

Will all of the money go to the fund or just a portion?

All of it. I will be paying the shipping myself.

Please help in any way you can. I encourage you to browse the links above to get a sense of the situation, and how nice it would be to lend a hand. On Thursday morning be prepared to visit participating blogs and bid generously. Thanks to everyone.

7 comments:

Jek said...

I was up at 4am with horrid heartburn and found this story. I couldn't sleep the rest of the night. How dang sad is this story. that girl is so pretty and i can't imagine what 80% of body burned will be like. Good job jenn, i will bid that day on something. although i do have a lot of my own paintins!

Suzanne said...

Jennifer,
I am literally weeping over this story! I swear this is the 3rd plane crash story I have heard this week. I will do all that I can to help on the auction. This is what life is about, helping each other in their times of trials. Oh, how my heart aches for the children and especially the couple. I will help you!

Joanne Brown said...

I'm also a reader of Nie's blog and have posted about her story on my blog too. It's just such a tragic situation! My thoughts and prayers have been with her and her family since I read the news. How kind of you to do an auction. I'm getting involved through Morgan Moore's blog to donate something to their group auction. I'm sure her family appreciate all the outpouring of love that's being sent.

Peggy said...

Hi! I am also hosting an auction - may I borrow your instruction format to use for my auction? You've done a great job of laying it out - you can email me at hindsmomto3@yahoo.com. Thanks. Peggy

Ann Marie said...

Jennifer-
I had no idea about any of it. I don't watch the news or anything, and feel pretty out of the loop now. What a blessing for this family to have people all over the world helping them out. True Charity. It's awesome you are doing this auction. :)
Thanks for sharing.. We'll keep them in our prayers!

Jayne Layne said...

So nice of you! I was reading about his last week, i feel really bad for them, its just so sad. Leave it to you to be the go getter and actually do something!

Great idea!

Lauralee said...

so sad.. what a tragedy.. I will try to bid on something tomorrow.