Wednesday, October 28, 2009


Witchy Poo's

Here's me at 60. I hate myself aleady. Do you ever dink around with the photo settings and just try to see how heinous you can make yourself? I do. All the time. Then I say sorry and go back and make myself look better than a actually do. I am all about the costume. When I was little I loved it and always wanted to transform myself...the uglier, the scarier, the better. Jill was the opposite she always wanted to be something pretty. We're still the same even now. I'm always disappointed when I'm a nice, friendly witch or whatever and not a freaky, stinky one with a nose ring and gaggly eye.

So last Saturday was the Potomac Parade. Years ago, Julie, my friend right down there with the great smile, started this witching tradition. Four or five of us would dress up and go "witching." This meant driving around in one of her awesome vintage cars and dropping in on friends--armed with treats, gifts, hexes whatever. It eventually evolved into being part of the town parade. Anyway, we took a few years off but this year were begged back. It was a barrel of cackles...

Julie is awesome and has great style and taste, she has pretty much outfitted all of us at one time or another with witchy and non-witchy type clothes..I have her to thank for my red wig that I can't wait to slip on every year.

It was a super overcast morning..this is what Nick and Mary's driveway looked like on the way out. Gorgeous or what?

The Witchy Poos. Last time we did this, we had double the hags. We were pretty impressive that year....not a bad turnout this time around, though.



Witches and burning bushes: apropo


Diane Keaton?

How bout this car? Complete with a pale-faced chauffeur. Check out the license plate and on the side she put a huge "Follow me to Markoff's Haunted Forest" vinyl sticker. Thanks Jules!


I love this picture taken on my way home. There was a fantastical, melancholy mood about with the ominous gray clouds, misting rain, red trees lining the streets and a pair of black robed witches going about their business...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow what a great life you live, Jennifer. Very impressive blog. You aren't bad as an old lady either. I hear you about the aging thing. Can't believe it is definitely here for me; but, I wouldn't change one thing!! Love your creativity and YOU!

Anonymous said...

P.S. Aunt Nancy, freezing in Happy Valley.

Mrs. O said...

That driveway photo is frame-worthy - simply stunning. And all you witches look fabulous.

Ann Marie said...

The last picture is frame worthy.. and the trees on the in-laws remind me of pictures of the sacred grove.

I love your hair, tights and boots.. but you could never be a witch to me.. sorry!

This time of year is when I want to be there! The forest.. the witchie fun.. the store sale.. can I just cry.. cry.. cry!! Or could you cast a spell?

Ann Marie said...

Oh and.. I'm sure Jill is perfect.
Is there a mean bone in that body? I don't think so...

Jayne Layne said...

wow! i had no idea that the potomac parade was that! that seems fun. you guys look great!

Suzanne said...

OH!! You are the HOTTEST witch EVER!! Even if you think you look 60 WHATVEVER!! One question: Where does one go to buy gold platform boots? I'm just sayin, Payless is not carrying those bad boys EVER!! Just kidding!! What an awesome event to be part of!! I think it is a brilliant idea. And the picture from the inlaws driveway, what do they live in heaven in something. For the love of all that is holy, I would never leave the house. I would be out frolicking in the leaves all day long. One day! One day! Hey, I am going to send you an email because I need details for the speed dating event you did at the Region Dance. So, please check your email soon! -Suzanne

SaraBerry said...

I LOVE it! Happy Halloween!

Kimmie said...

I JUST LOVE YOUR POST!! Sorry, it's taken me a week to stop by and view the FUN things going on at your house. It has been hectic week and I feel like I've neglected Blog friends.

I can't believe how much FUN you and your friends have this time of the year. Only in my dreams could I ever even think about having people near me that would be that brave to dress up as "Witches" and go off and have SO much fun!!

You are one lucky girl and make one awesome witch! Your comment about your sister Jill made me laugh, because I had a sister that always wanted to be something pretty as well.

Halloween only comes around once a year and so I like to dress up UGLY or scary....the uglier and scarier the better.

Loved the idea for the vinyl lettering for the license plate and the last photo is just plain AWESOME!

Kimmie said...

PS....wishing I could just "wiggle my nose" like Samantha on Bewitched and be able to be part of the WITCHIES POO"!! (wink)