Thursday, September 23, 2010

Loser Pie?


So the missionaries were scheduled to eat with us last Monday. Nick called and said he really needed to stay late and keep working on the Haunted Forest but that why don't I ask an extra family over so we can still have the missionaries? You know--token male so I don't spontaneously plant a kiss on an unassuming elder! (it could happen) Well... being that dinner guests and entertaining aren't my strong suit, I saw Nick's stress as my way out and well, you know, cancelled. But considering they are LITERALLY the nicest missionaries I've ever talked to I felt really guilty and like a loser when they said "It's totally fine! We LOVE Meatlovers pizza!" Dial it up. Done.

Last night there was a knock at the door and I hear the cheery (x10) voices of the missionaries talking to the kids. I'm not exaggerating how cute, upbeat and smiley they are. "Hey!! Sister Markoff! We just wanted to bring you a thank you note for the pizza (whaaat?!) and tell you that it was such a good thing you cancelled. Can we tell you what happened with the pizza guy?"

Pull up a chair, Elders! Actually, stay on the stoop. No man on the premises.

So in the words of E. Thompson (reinforced by affirmative nods and smiles from E. Vea), the story unfolded like this:

Well it's kinda hard to find us down in the basement of the church but he did find us eventually and we were so happy! We noticed his pizza shirt said "Elder" embroidered on his chest and we thought that was cool! He was also sooo excited that we had on our tags that said "Elder." He was a Spanish speaker and told us he was from Guatemala. We were wondering why he was so interested in our name tags. Even though his English wasn't too good, it was obvious he was really happy about our tags. As it turns out he was born in a little village in Guatemala where there was very little medical care--if any at all. His mom ended up having a very terrible birth with him and it looked like both she and her newborn were probably going to die. His father was very upset and didn't know what to do so he went for the religious men in the town who wore white shirts and badges to see if they could help his family. The Elders returned with him and blessed his wife and baby. Both lived as a result of their prayers. To show his gratitude, the father decided they should call their son after the two men-- with the same name-- who saved his life... Elder is now taking the discussions from the Spanish speaking missionaries. How about that Sister Markoff!! Isn't it great you bought us that pizza?!

I do what I can, boys.... I do what I can.



8 comments:

jill said...

That is hilarious!!!! I do what I can boys, I do what I can... I got a GOOD laugh from that!!! WHAT AN AMAZING STORY!!!!!!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!

Mrs. O said...

What a great story! You must have been inspired. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey maybe I should cancel and get them pizza this week. You never know. fun story. KEL

jessamyn said...

Tears... this is amazing! I can't wait to hear how the story unfolds. Please post pictures if you bring pizza to the baptism. ;)

Jayne Layne said...

That is so awesome! Glad I could help you make up your mind to cancel... that means I was equally involved in this...

To cute. Great story!

Anonymous said...

What a great story. Thanks for sharing. Makes it doubly nice now that our guys are on their way -- Tyler, Jaxon, next April, Jake and so on and so forth. May and Joe would be so proud of you, Jennifer. You keep this family hip!! Aunt Nancy

Jek said...

Amazing story. Contact Oprah. It Is our last chance to make it on her show. THIS is her last season.

Chris said...

What a great story! I actually sent it to my mom, my sister, etc. So amazing! They all loved it. I can't wait to see what happens!

Miss you tons!