Wednesday, April 1, 2015





My devotional given to the SOTW cast on opening night

About four weeks ago I woke up with a thousand things on my mind, the phone rang and it was my dad telling me that my cousin, Matthew, was dead. He had taken his own life. It was the last thing we thought would ever happen, and it was devastating news. He was only 41 and had been deaf his whole life. As the details of his death unfolded, we learned that his suicide was a result of a really cruel prank and ongoing bullying from some coworkers.  A few days after Matthews death, one of Jon’s neighbors, a young mother of two was driving to work. A teenage boy in a big truck illegally passed a slower car on a blind turn. There was a terrible crash, and the young mom died and the boy walked away. 


While my thoughts and prayers have been for my loved ones and the family of this young mom, a part of me aches for those who wounded my cousin and the boy who foolishly, in an immature moment decided to pass a slower car.  These people will carry a very heavy burden for the rest of their lives. A burden that is much to difficult to shoulder alone.

I personally, have had a difficult month.  Generally I’m a very happy and lighthearted person and thankfully my life has always moved along quite seamlessly.  However, this past month has been filled with much sadness, stress and a lot of disappointment.  Many of my friends who know me well have each said something like,  “You have a lot going on—won’t you be so glad when the play is finally over?” And instantly I'd think.. “if you ONLY knew.” This show, my interactions with you, and the love of my Savior have literally been my oasis.  There have been countless days where I would feel super stressed or down all day and then the very moment I would get in my car for rehearsal.. a tangible peace would wash over me and I would feel instantly renewed.  This happened over and over again.  And every time it did, I just felt so grateful and understood.

I love the title... Savior of the World. HE IS the remedy to all the suffering and hardship that exists on earth. For the young boy who survived the car crash, or the bullies who have to live with the consequences of their actions—HE is their Savior—their hope for peace. 

These past five nights I have been privileged to sit back and let His story sink deeply into my heart and lift my spirit.  He has brought peace to my mind when nothing else could. He has heard my prayers and helped me find clarity amid confusion.

I’d like to combine a few of my very favorite lines from the play, “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you.  Not as the world giveth, give I unto you.  Let not your heart be troubled neither let it be afraid.  Lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world."

I hope that each of your lives have been blessed, as you have sacrificed to be part of this great experience. That like me, your testimonies has been strengthened and you have found more peace in your life.

I know that tonight in our audience there will be some hearts that are heavy, that are grieving, that are lost or confused.  Jesus Christ is whom they seek. His message of love and redemption is the most important story in the world.

Thank you for sharing yourselves with me.  This experience has filled my well and bought me years worth of happiness. I will forever be grateful for the love and friendship we've shared and the common experience that will always bind us together.

 

No comments: