Monday, March 3, 2008

Live from New York...

We had a fabulous time in NYC!  I'm not one for big detailed run downs, but there were lots of highlights for sure.  Wicked of course was absolutely fantastic--just as good the second time, but I will say...  I now believe it is ALWAYS worth sitting on the ground level.  We had great seats in the second row balcony--perfectly straight-on but the volume just didn't blow me away like the first time. I will always opt for orchestra, even if they are partial view, over mezzanine. Live and learn. That being said, the kids loved being up high, able to see everything all at once.


The kids got their caricatures done for $5.  Very fun.  I think Natalie's was basically Nicole Ritchie wearing Natalie's hat, but she thought it was a masterpiece.


I decided to get brave and wear a hat--because it was pretty darn cold.  Nicholas was sure to inform me it wasn't his favorite and I looked like a policewoman.  Actually, maybe it was Nick that came up with the cop comment. We also went to Lion King and Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum on Saturday.  Both were great.  The shrunken heads are still haunting all of us. If you haven't seen Lion King, you should.  I think it's pretty much a show for anyone and everyone.  We had awesome seats--well worth the extra cash.


Another favorite were the deli's.  They really are the way to go--such a great variety of sandwiches, good soups, great pastries. We pretty much stopped for a treat every hour.  The kids loved the M&M store.  I really hate commercial places like that--but it was fun since they liked it so much.  It was a great bargain, too.  I think we paid $22 for about 16 oz. of candy. Do the math--excellent deal.  Which leads me to my lowest point of the trip:  Chinatown.  Very sad.  All the good stuff had vanished.  I asked some of the vendors (that I recognized from before) where all their Juicy stuff was.  They looked at me shocked-like and said, "What? I no sell name brands!" Bummer.  I guess I looked like an undercover agent.    

Before Wicked we went to Ellen's Stardust Diner.  I LOVE that place.  If you ever go to NY put that on your list.  The waitstaff are Broadway wannabes and sing their little guts out all night. It's a really fun thing to do.  I'd recommend going late, after your show, rather than before. The food isn't great, and later in the evening they don't have many tables, so the entertainment is nonstop.  I went back in November with some girlfriends and we couldn't stop smiling and giggling--we loved it so much.  Well, it was a quick but GREAT weekend. We've definitely got the bug.  New York, hope to see you soon!

6 comments:

Up in Bubbles said...

Oh that looks so fun. I hate to admit but I am jealous. Looks like you had so much fun. I can't wait to go back again. I can't believe the juicy stuff wasn't out. (crazy) George loved seeing the spiderman and now really wants to go to New York to see him. Maybe someday my kids will be old enough to go, but Ithink I need a girl to really have someone to enjoy wicked with. I think the odds are against me.

Jayne Layne said...

How great! I have been eagerly awaiting this post. It looks like you guys had so much fun. I am totally jealous. I LOVE NY. I am glad the kids liked the play. What a fun trip! Major Bummer about China Town.

jill said...

How great!!! What fun, I'm so glad you guys got to go do that! I want to go back!

Tiffany & Co. said...

How fun for you guys. There's nothing better than a trip to NYC to see Wicked! So sad about the knock off bags, they were funny about the bags when I was there in 2006. They took me into this back alley, up about 6 flights of stairs into this tiny, hot room full of illegal loot. I felt like a total criminal. It looks like you did all the fun stuff. What a nice way for your little girl to remember her birthday.

everything pink! said...

i am so putting your diner on the list.
police man, that is so funny but i think the hat looks great.

alexis said...

aww i'm so jealous! you guys look so cute! how are you doing? miss ya! now we can keep up with each other over blogs.....