Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Why is she smiling?

Cause her kids are at Co-op!

Ladies (and a few token gentleman) listen to me! We are on to something here! This was seriously me today. Smiling away, blasting my music and cleaning the house like crazy, completely and totally uninterrupted while my kids played at co-op. If you are not familiar with babysitting co-op you really should get familiar. One of my West Coast sisters, has been doing this for a few years with girls from church and they absolutely swear by it. I figured it was time we gave it a try on my home front. So...a few weeks ago East Coast co-op began. The idea is this....you find some moms (with kids at home) that you like and trust and make a schedule for the week. We have three days, at three hours each, available every week. You take turns watching each others' kids (6 kids max) at your house during your allotted time slot. It works out that we only have to babysit about every three-four weeks. It operates with hourly tickets--one ticket per kid per hour--the more you babysit the more tickets you earn. The more tickets you have, the more you are able to use the service. It's best if you call a day or two in advance to reserve a spot, but you can also decide last-minute and often find space. Anyway, maybe this is something that lots of people do, but between this and the cooking group my life is pretty great these days. JUST DO IT!


Want more info? Please ask.

10 comments:

Jayne Layne said...

Great idea, now I all I need are the kids!

Sarah Jane said...

can i move to your neighborhood???

alexis said...

hmmm, if my kids were at co-op i don't think i would be cleaning.

Jek said...

Good point lexi. Never thought of that. Good thing you can join my group soon!

JENNIFRO said...

Lexie--you've obviously never hit "rock bottom" house-wise. Give it a few more kids. : )

Suzanne said...

What a great idea!! Now if I could only find neighbors who would be willing to play!

jill said...

I took my kids to co-op too yesterday, I blared my music in the car and had a nice quiet lunch.

Rebecca said...

You know, I think I must always have my speakers muted because I never heard the music on your blog. I Love it! What a great soundtrack; makes me feel like I'm in movie while I'm reading through. (And a very fun and clever date movie, at that:)

Mandi said...

We did this when my kids were little with all the mothers in our playgroup, it was fantastic. Yours is a little more structured. We just had a list each month and each person could swap with the person they were paired with. It was usually only one night per month, but it gave everyone some time to do something with other grown ups - we usually went out for dinner with friends - such a great idea!!!

Mandi said...

p.s - your photo is absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!!