Saturday, May 10, 2008

COMMUNITY GARDEN



We are really gettin' crazy this spring and planting a community garden in my backyard. I guess you can't really call it a community garden when it's only for five families pretty much all related, but there it is. Plus one third of my actual "community" would rather chuck tomatoes at us than eat them, but that's another story. My good buddy Anjie is the mastermind behind the whole thing so we are just taking orders from her. We went to Poole's Store and hit the jackpot! They had so many plants there--pretty much everything we needed.



We found all kinds of awesome herbs, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, squash, cantaloupes, watermelon, peppers, eggplant etc etc. We are using the Square Foot Gardening plan which will hopefully work out well. We're all a bunch of amateurs with high hopes!


We had a fun afternoon with the kids--smelling herbs, loading plants in boxes, giggling and enjoying the gorgeous day. We even ran into the Chief. He couldn't believe his daughter in law was actually following through on such an enormous project.

All the plants cost us about $120, which when you consider how much food it's supposed to yield, is unbelievably cheap. Now if we can just get them to grow!

8 comments:

Chris said...

I hope you planted lettuce! Also, I am hoping to get some fresh vegies out of your hard work:) What a great idea! WAY TO GO!

Suzanne said...

I have 2 words for you! Miracle Grow! It will save any garden. You have made me garden hungry. We are hoping to get our garden in sometime this week! Have fun!

JENNIFRO said...

CHRIS!!! My favorite stalker has finally appeared!!

Fresh veggies for you!

jill said...

Can't wait to get started!

Elisa said...

Great idea! Who wouldn't love help with all the weeding and hoeing, and watering...it's worth sharing the loot.

It so kind of you to share your space.

Anjie said...

Good thing those pictures are small because I look huge.

Tiffany & Co. said...

That is the coolest idea. You can all share in the weeding and the eating!

Jayne Layne said...

Such a great idea. That sounds really fun. Ship me some veggies.