Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Running on Empty


I am pooped. I have been out of my mind busy the last few days...staying up way too late and company in town.  I am really too tired to post what I had planned but wanted to say a little something.  I finished John Adams last week and bawled my eyes out.  After it was over I tried calling all kinds of people but no one answered and I was going crazy.  Whenever I see a movie I love I immediately find a phone and just start dialing.  No one answered.  Finally, after three tries Mom picked up. When I said, "Mom?"  She knew immediately I had been crying--she blurted out, "What's the matter!!!"  Don't you just love mothers!  She was quite relieved to know my stuffed up nose was over a movie.  It had such a profound affect on me.  Probably with all that's going on politically, I took it to heart more than I normally would have, I don't know, but I loved it so much.  The acting was superb and so well cast I couldn't believe it.  It was fun to see so many familiar scenes as much of it was filmed in Williamsburg and we've been there countless times.  

Without a doubt it was the most moving, educational and inspiring show I've seen all year and it is now one of my all time favorites. It really got me thinking:  How do the current candidates and their superfluous rhetoric measure up to the sacrifice and leadership of the Founding Fathers?  This series puts today's dumb-downed politicians in stark contrast to Adams and the other Revolutionaries who risked everything on behalf of real principles. What a notion that is in this day and age.  Watch this miniseries of you like an excellent story, and to remind yourself why we are whom we are.  Five stars from me!

***** 
Have you seen it? 
What'd you think?



15 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh I want to see it.. it sounds great! that freak in your bed looks creepy!!!!!!!!

partii said...

Makes you wish more shows like this would come out of tinsel town. It should be the norm and not an exception! Way to go HBO.

Oh Yeah, I cried too.

Suzanne said...

A couple of our friends were talking about it at dinner last weekend. They really LOVED it too! I will have to check it out. I just recently whipped out my copy of the Consitution and the Bill of Rights to try and read and get in tune with what the forefathers wanted when they built this nation. This election has been a complete struggle for me and I am trying my best to do what is right!

I agree! Maybe we should send a copy of John Adams to Brother McCain and Brother Obama (hehe) and remind them what this country is really all about. Wow! I'm feeling a little patriotic myself! Yay USA! -Suzanne

Anonymous said...

Jon can talk your ear off about this. HE IS COMPLETELY OBSESSED. I think he fininshed the whole thing in a day. He absolutely loved it. I have yet to watch it, but it is definitely on my list. He says Adams, Washington, Franklin, and one more (I can't remember) are truly inspired by God, and were such amazing men. Bummer you already had this, I was going to do this series as Christmas gifts! Sheesh.

Either way, glad you liked it to much. I will need to sit down and watch it.

brookie said...

uh okay i'm definitely going to rent this as soon as i get off of work today! i've been feeling like a great movie.

oh and btw we got our thanksgiving tickets, we need to do a double-date wednesday night!

Mitch said...

I have seen the first three episodes but i don't remember much because it is so hard to really concentrate with a "social" apartment like mine. Too many people in and out. I need to watch it on my own in a quiet place. I freakin love this stuff though. I knew i'd like it, but now i'm really excited to watch it. Thanks sissy!

Anonymous said...

I am in the middle and am loving it as well. It gives you a new understanding of what people gave up to make this county what it is. Thanks to all those founding fathers, and their wives, and families. TO bad more people haven't seen it. KEl

Me said...

I've heard nothing but good things about this. I will definately have to check it out. Thanks for the review.

I like watching movies that really move you. Not all the time though cause the exhaust me-but every once in a while we need those eye opening kind of movies to remind us of who we are and where we came from.

Ann Marie said...

I'm glad you shared this, because I guess I've been in a little bubble. I havent heard anything about this... I will have to check it out! Thanks for the review..

jill said...

I'm with you, I've only watched the first disc but talk about humbling. I've never been more appreciative or humbled by our founding fathers. I can't say enough about the movie, it's REALLY effected me.

carey said...

My parents loved this series - - I'll have to watch.

Your nostrils comment gave me the giggles! My sis and I have huge ones (we've even had contests). People can be so dumb.

Up in Bubbles said...

Kelley and I are on Episode 5 and it killed me last night not to be able to watch it. There is a little thing called Haunted Forest that runs my life. I recommend this movie to all. I also want to start my own country after watching this movie. I am sick and tired of the dweebs in DC.

Jayne Layne said...

I'm gettin so worried bouch you...

Anjie said...

I am sick of this post. Get some sleep wench!!

Rebecca said...

I did see this miniseries and by the end, I was moved to tears. I just loved and appreciated the whole thing so much. Abigail, really, what a great lady. I especially enjoyed reading "Dearest Friend" a few years back - you've probably already read it, though. :) It was quite sweet.