Thursday, August 1, 2013

Parowan Days












Getting away to Parowan by myself was gratifying in so many ways.  Let this post serve as a reminder of how important it is to seize the moment and do something that speaks to your heart. It's hard to describe the spirit I felt here this week-- the spirit of my heritage I guess would be the best way to define it.  Every activity and interaction seemed to cast it's spell on me and I was able to enjoy the full emotion and peak of each experience.  I don't know why it all came together for me in such a way, but it did.  My Uncle Tex's impressive garden in my parents background, touring the cemetery with my mom and taking our time, visiting with my dear Great Aunt Mary and her daughters, making honey candy with Aunt Maryjane, walking the Cedar City campus with mom and taking in the Shakespearean displays are some really precious memories to me now.  Perhaps the thing that sticks with me the most though, that even now brings a tightness to my throat, is driving with my dad-- his playlist blaring.  Before each song he tells me why this particular song made the cut and why it means so much to him. Dad's music never changes much.  He's listened to many of the same songs on the same playlist for decades I think. Actually, playlist isn't really accurate since he's still inserting CD's.  I can appreciate his bond these songs since many of my playlists are my most cherished memory makers--the narration of my life.  A means of transporting me to a far-off and well loved time and place.   I love that he shared this with me.  A newcomer to the list that I had never heard before was Meditation from Thais which he told me chokes him up every time as he thinks of his parents.  Such a sweet glimpse into his heart and mind.  I'm thankful for these few days to reconnect with those I love in a place that I love.








No comments: